Saturday, April 20, 2013

Tip #79 - Multilevel Lists in Word


100 Computer Tips in 100 Days

Tip #79 - Multilevel Lists in Word


For those times when you need to make an outline or other kind of multilevel list, Word has a dandy feature to help you. On the Home tab ribbon you’ll find the multilevel list option in the Paragraph group. Clicking on the down triangle reveals the assortment of lists that are available including numbered and bulleted lists. But that’s not all. These basic list types can be customized. 


Clicking on one of the choices will insert the first level of the list. Pressing the Enter/Return key will duplicate the level that you were just using. For example if you are using a multilevel list that has numbers, the first paragraph will have a “1” inserted at the beginning and pressing the Enter/Return key will insert the number “2”.  To indent to the second level you need to press the Enter/Return key, which will repeat the previous level, and then you press the Tab key. The Tab key indents you to the second level which might then insert a lower case “a”, if that’s the style you chose. When you have finished entering all of your second level entries you press the Enter/Return key again and then use a Shift Tab (holding down the Shift key and pressing the Tab key) to return to level 1. 

An alternative to using the Tab and Shift-Tab keys is the indent options on the Home tab, just to the right of the multilevel list option.

I sometimes find it easier to format the list after I've typed it. I turn on the multilevel list feature and then just type it as one long list. I then select all of the text that needs to be indented and click on the increase indent option. I find Word plays nicer using this approach.

---------------------------



My book, 100 Amazing Computer Tips - Shortcuts, Tricks, and Advice to Help Everyone from Novice to Professional, is available NOW at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble in both print and ebook formats. There's also a handy link on top right side of this window.

Happy computing!

Diane



Don't forget to click the Subscribe to 100 Computer Tips in 100 Days via email link on the right side of the screen so you get email alerts when I add a new post.


1 comment:

  1. This was super tip, Diane, though I had to fudge for my MAC. I've struggled for years with this- how to get back to the original level after having a second one.
    I entered enter twice which put my cursor at the beginning of the line, no indent and no pre-filled number or letter. Then I typed the next main number in my series. I was not indented till I finished the line and hit enter to put the next line in, then the numbers indented and it went to the next number.
    Hope that makes sense to other Mac users:)
    Great work Diane, with all these tips. I really am enjoying learning all the short cuts, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Named Cells and Ranger in Excel

Great Computer Tips Named Cells and Ranges in Excel Naming cells Cells already have names such as A1, B27, etc. but you can also give them n...