Friday, May 10, 2013

Tip #99 - Excel Finding Duplicate Records


100 Computer Tips in 100 Days

Tip #99 - Excel Finding Duplicate Records


I just had to compare two email lists. One was my Gmail contacts and the other was my Outlook contacts. I exported both of them to a file, deleted all but the name and the email fields and copied and pasted them into one file, but then what? Many of the names were duplicates but how to weed them out? Then I remembered the Find Duplicates feature in Excel!

This easy-to-use feature is on the Data tab, Data Tools Group (Data menu for Apple users). When you click the Find Duplicates option a window comes up asking in which columns you want to find duplicates. In my case I indicated only the email column but if you were trying to find all the duplicate records for people in the list with the same first AND last name, you would check those columns instead.  Than click the OK button. Poof, duplicates have disappeared. Excel will give you a report showing the number of duplicates found.

Remember, Excel deletes the duplicate records without confirming it so you might want to make a backup of the file before you delete the duplicates.

Happy Computing!

Diane

View Diane's Webpage for more tips. 


Don't forget to click the Subscribe to 100 Computer Tips in 100 Days via email link on the right side of the screen so you get email alerts when Diane adds a new post.

Want more tech news or interesting links? You'll get plenty of both if you keep up with Diane McKeever, the writer of 100 Computer Tips in 100 Days, by subscribing to her Facebook posts or visiting her web page, www.dianemckeever.com . 

2 comments:

  1. Finding the records have always been a very daunting task for me, but after going through your explanation I think it wold be easier for me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found this tip. I just used this last week when I was cleaning up contacts from two email addresses. Find the duplicates and delete them...easy, easy, easy. Be on the lookout for more Excel tips coming soon as well as some videos of the techniques. Diane

      Delete

Named Cells and Ranger in Excel

Great Computer Tips Named Cells and Ranges in Excel Naming cells Cells already have names such as A1, B27, etc. but you can also give them n...